Saturday, February 7, 2009

Socialites

Crockett and I had such a big night last night!

First we went to Jessica and Ben's wedding shower hosted at Katy's house. It was too much fun! The BBQ was divine, and I swear the baked beans must have had crack in them, they were so good. And the desserts! Rebecca made this cake that had alternating strawberry and chocolate layers. But I liked Sarah's raspberry brownies the best. They were the B*O*M*B. The Wii Fit's gonna be griping at me and saying "ooooh" next time I get on, I'm sure.

Then we went to our buddy Peter's housewarming/birthday party. I guess it could technically be classified as a keger, as there was one at the back door, but it was some really good stuff - Shinerbock - so it wasn't like a frat party. Peter lives in a lovely house in Fondren with hardwood floors, tin ceilings, and an air of the good old days..... And speakers as big as I am. And a liquor cabinet that put ours to shame. We are really blessed with such great friends.


I am sure pictures will be posted on Facebook. I am sure all photos of me will look something like Shrek.

So I'm not as young as I used to be, and two parties, awesome friends, loud music, good wine, and beer took it out of us. Am glad I had the presence of mind to make these yesterday afternoon.


They're cranberry orange scones from the new cookbook. I'm interested in the fact that all orange flavor comes from only one teaspoon of orange zest. That's it - no orange juice, no grand marnier, just the zest. Am also interested that one orange produces about one teaspoon of orange zest. Will have to remember that, as that's not easy stuff to measure.
I'm already thinking of different variations on this theme. I put in pecans because you know I can't follow a recipe to save my life, but I'm thinking lemon scones with dried cherries would be pretty good too. Or maybe lime zest with dried cherries and lemon with some blueberries. Hmm. Mike likes raspberries. Wonder what would work with them?

0 comments:

 

Made by Lena