Again, forgive me for posting a picture of leftovers. This dessert is great for presentation - putting it on the table with the simplicity of the red raspberries over the pristine white cream makes me happy.
It's difficult to make desserts for Mike. Chocolate doesn't really do it for him. He prefers things that are very tart, not sweet, and I've yet to find the recipe for SweetTarts or Swedish Fish. But he does love raspberries - I think I can say they're his favorite - so this dessert fits the bill. I like its texture; it's a good, rather light finish for a big meal.
1/3 cup sugar
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups water
2 cups sour cream
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 packages frozen raspberries or strawberries, thawed
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
- Mix 1/3 cup sugar and gelatin in saucepan. Stir in water. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until sugar and gelatin are well dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually blend into sour cream and add vanilla. Quickly whisk for about 30 seconds to a minute to ensure that mixture is fully blended.
- Chill until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in whipped topping and pour into presentation bowl.
- Chill until firm, about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, top berries with 1/2 cup sugar. This is optional, but it keeps the berries from being too tart.
- Top firm cream with berries and garnish with mint and/or whipped topping.