Monday, September 6, 2010

Day of Laboring


Oh, what a beautiful weekend, oh what beautiful days. I have a beautiful feeling everything's going our way.


The past three days have been nothing short of idyllic. Maybe it's the (somewhat) cooler weather, maybe it's the fact that we are now able to sleep with the windows open, maybe it's just been the company. But we have loved every minute of it.

Mayhem and foolishness started on Friday, when Mike was able to come home a little early. He brought with him flowers and doughnuts! Lately I've been on a kick about how goooooood a doughnut would be, but I wouldn't break down and buy any because of all the sugar and fat involved. Well, Mike fixed my little red wagon with a baker's dozen of freshly-glazed goodness, enough to keep us through these past three days. Pair them with a cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee, and I'm like a new woman.

Then the girls and I went out for supper Friday night. I know - it's too good to be true! A man who brings home flowers and pastries and then gives me the night off in the kitchen so I can spend time with my two favorite bad influences. The weekend could not have begun better.

But wait. There's more.

Dante started off with a big Saturday morning romp:



Then Mike had to join the fun:



After that, Mike and I had some lunch and stopped off at Discount Hunting on our way to Turcotte to shoot rifles with friends. Peachick was not fond of the larger calibers with whom we were sharing the range, and she let me know under no uncertain terms with lots of kicking and squirming. When Mike saw somebody pull out a big boomer, he would grab me by the waist and hug me up behind him, using his body as the baby's own muffler. It was so sweet, but a little hot. So I spent about half the time sitting in the car, which was kind of a killjoy. But it was nice being outside and enjoying good company nonetheless.

While in the car, we listened to Georgia Tech beat up on South Carolina State 41-10. Mike was enthused.

Saturday night I roasted a rosemary and cracked pepper crusted ribeye with onions and potatoes while Mike tinkered out in the garage and started sanding the side door in preparation for some new varnish. We watched Date Night, and I laughed at the cab driver 'till I cried.

Then Sunday we loaded Dante up and headed down to our friends Cindy and James' place out in the country for a cookout in the dappled shade of the pecan trees. We ate too much but had a great time doing it. The food was great, the company even better. While we were there, we were fortunate enough to have friends take a few shots of the two of us together. That's so rare for married couples: we always have photos of one of us or the other but very few together in the same frame.




Mike is so proud: look what I did!
Of course, I'm proud too: look who I married!!!

Mike also honed his photography skills with some very difficult subjects: hummingbirds.





We came home to an easy evening with a light supper. As soon as evening fell, we opened all the windows, turned off the lights, popped some popcorn with extra butter, and cuddled together to watch the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It was a very intense and graphic film with a very good plot, and I hate to see how much moviemakers water it down for the American version. Though it's filled with unsavory characters with whom I find it hard to relate, I'm so fascinated by their strengths and motivations that I might just have to read the trilogy. But I'm glad to have seen the movie first for the heads-up on some of the necessary plot development.

We took it easy today, taking a leisurely run together with the dog this morning, having an excellent Mediterranean/Lebanese lunch, and enjoying a quick visit with Mom this afternoon. During lunch Mike told me the story of how he flew solo for the first time and the process of achieving his pilot's license. His instructor actually told him to go solo before Mike expected, and Mike admitted (as I would have been too!) that he was scared out of his wits. I love that human part of my 00 secret agent. Now I'm sitting with my feet up, watching my favorite, Pawn Stars, while Mike tinkers with the boat outside.

I hope your weekend was just as wonderful. What did you do?

Photo courtesy of inspirationbit.

1 comments:

Jess said...

The book...Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...is pretty good. I'm about 100 pages from the end. It took a bit to get into it but now I'm hooked!

 

Made by Lena